JDRF Youth Ambassador Program
This program was created to empower children with type 1 diabetes by giving them the opportunity to provide diabetes education to the public while helping JDRF and the Southwest Ohio chapter by representing our organization and providing diabetes awareness. Our Youth Ambassadors accept the responsibility to represent JDRF in public settings and help steward our mission. This program also offers social opportunities to all members in order to promote friendships, support of each other, and good times!
The new faces of T1D were chosen through our application process. The second Southwest Ohio class of Youth Ambassadors will participate now through June 30, 2015. 2014 Application were due on June 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM. Applications were available here.
The 2014-15 JDRF Youth Ambassadors are:
Be within first and twelfth grade (ages 3‐18 years old)
1.Have type 1 diabetes
2. Be willing to share his/her personal story in front of large groups and the media
3. Have a positive outlook on life and diabetes
4. Complete a minimum of 20 hours of participation in volunteer service at JDRF events and community outreach events per year
5. Commit to participating in the program for an entire year (July 2013 – June 2014)
6. Attend four JDRF activities (Walk, Gala, Ride, Outreach events)
7. Obtain parental permission in writing to be a part of the program
8. Arrange for transportation to and from responsibilities and social activities
Health Education of the Community/Volunteer Efforts for JDRF (Participation in some activities will be based on age appropriateness).
1. Provide health education to community through these various initiatives (when available):
- Public speaking and presentations to schools, hospitals, companies, and organizations.
- Production of radio and TV PSA’s.
- Participation in chapter outreach activities.
- Photos used for marketing and communication opportunities.
- Written statement from child/family to be used in brochures.
2. Perform general public relations activities.
3. Create awards, gifts of appreciation and other special items for donors.
4. Provide office assistance (invitation mailings, etc.).
5. Participate in Gala activities.
6. Participate in Walk activities.
7. Make calls/write notes to JDRF donors and sponsors to thank them for their support.
JDRF Southwest Ohio will choose 4-8 candidates to participate in the Youth Ambassador Program. The program will be for an entire year and ambassadors will be required to complete 20 hours of volunteer service if chosen. Candidates must be between the ages of 3-18 years old. Due to the limited number of spaces not all applicants will be chosen.
The Youth Ambassadors are proudly sponsored by TriHealth!